This brochure will help prepare parents or social workers to take the first step in discussing bipolar disorder with their child/children they work with.
It guides how to answer the following questions:
- What is bipolar disorder? How does bipolar disorder work?
- Why does my dad act the way he does? How does it feel to have bipolar disorder? What goes on in my mom’s head when she’s not herself?
- What does a “low mood,” or depression, mean? What does it look like?
- How will bipolar disorder affect me? How will it affect my family?
- What causes bipolar disorder? How does it start?
- Will the bipolar disorder ever be fixed?
- How can my mom or dad get better?
- Is there anything I can do to make my mom or dad better?
- Will it happen to me? Will I get it too?
- Is there anything I can do so that I don’t get bipolar disorder?
- Can parents give it to other people? Is it like a cold? Can you catch bipolar disorder?
- What should I do if I am scared? What can I do when I’m really worried about my parent who has bipolar disorder?