The guide aims to provide comprehensive advice and tips to parents of disabled children about sex and relationships. When we say ‘disabled children,’ we mean children who may have any kind of impairment, special educational needs, or a health or genetic condition. The focus is on supporting these children as they mature into young adults and begin forming intimate relationships.
Key Areas Covered:
- Sexual Awareness: This section explores the changing sexual awareness that comes with growing up and offers guidance on how to navigate these changes.
- Self Esteem: Understanding the importance of self-esteem in the development of healthy relationships and tips on how to bolster it.
- Personal Relationships: How to encourage and support your child in developing meaningful relationships.
- Discussing Growing Up: Tips on when and how to have these essential but sometimes challenging conversations with your child.
- Sexual Development: Discusses the changes your child will undergo and how you can support them during this period.
- Contraception and STIs: Information on how to educate your child about sexual health, including contraception and sexually transmitted infections.
- Sex and Relationship Education at School: What your child will be learning at school, how to supplement this education at home, and how to handle any special considerations your child might need.
- Further Information and Resources: Additional reading and resources for parents, including where to find them.
FREE DOWNLOAD OF GROWING UP, SEX AND RELATIONSHIPS – A GUIDE FOR PARENTS OF YOUNG DISABLED PEOPLE