The “When Your Brother or Sister Has Cancer: A Guide for Teens,” is a resource provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health. It is designed to support teenagers who have a sibling with cancer.
Here is an overview of the booklet’s table of contents:
This Booklet Is for You
- An introduction explaining that the booklet is for teens who have a sibling with cancer.
- What to expect in the booklet, including insights from other teens in similar situations, information on cancer and its treatment, and guidance for coping.
CHAPTER 1: You’ve Just Learned That Your Brother or Sister Has Cancer
- Discusses the emotions and thoughts that teens might experience upon learning about their sibling’s cancer diagnosis.
- Offers guidance on how to cope with the news and the importance of talking about it.
CHAPTER 2: Learning About Cancer
- Provides information about cancer, its causes, and how it develops.
- Explains the basics of cancer treatment and what to expect during this process.
CHAPTER 3: Cancer Treatment
- Explores the various treatments used to combat cancer.
- Offers insight into what your sibling might go through during treatment.
CHAPTER 4: Becoming a Stem Cell Donor
- Discusses the possibility of becoming a stem cell donor for your sibling.
- Explains what this involves and how it can help.
CHAPTER 5: What Your Brother or Sister May Be Feeling
- Explores the emotional and physical experiences your sibling might go through during cancer treatment.
- Offers guidance on how to support and understand their feelings.
CHAPTER 6: Changes in Your Family
- Addresses the impact of cancer on the family dynamics and relationships.
- Offers strategies for coping with these changes.
CHAPTER 7: How You Can Help Your Brother or Sister
- Provides suggestions on how to be supportive and helpful to your sibling during their cancer journey.
CHAPTER 8: Taking Care of Yourself
- Emphasizes the importance of self-care for teenagers in this situation.
- Offers tips on managing your own emotions and well-being.
CHAPTER 9: You and Your Friends
- Discusses how to talk to friends about your sibling’s cancer and maintain your social life.
- Offers guidance on communication with peers.
CHAPTER 10: Finding Support
- Highlights the importance of seeking support from trusted adults and friends.
- Offers resources for getting the support you need.
CHAPTER 11: After Treatment
- Discusses what happens after cancer treatment ends.
- Addresses the emotions and adjustments that may be needed during this phase.
CHAPTER 12: The Road Ahead
- Provides guidance on moving forward once your sibling’s cancer journey is over.
- Offers tips for looking ahead and planning for the future.
CHAPTER 13: Learning More on Your Own
- Encourages further learning about cancer and its effects.
- Provides resources for additional information.
CHART A: Monitoring Tests
- Explains monitoring tests that may be conducted during cancer treatment.
CHART B: Cancer Team Members
- Lists the various professionals who make up the cancer treatment team.
FREE DOWNLOAD OF WHEN YOUR BROTHER OR SISTER HAS CANCER: A GUIDE FOR TEENS