‘Survive to Thrive Guide: A Resource for Parents of a Child with an Eating Disorder’ is a comprehensive and supportive booklet written by parents who have personal experience with a child’s eating disorder. This guide aims to provide parents, caregivers, and professionals with practical advice, tools, and strategies to navigate the challenging journey of supporting a child with an eating disorder.
Chapter 1: What to do if you’re concerned
– What signs, symptoms, and characteristics could I be looking for?
– How do I talk to my child about my concerns?
– What can I do when everyone is telling me my child is okay, when I know they are struggling with an eating disorder?
– Who could I talk to, to address my concerns?
Chapter 2: Diagnosis of an eating disorder
– Is my child’s diagnosis my fault? If not, how is it not my fault?
– Is it okay to talk about my child’s diagnosis with others?
– What can I do if my child doesn’t think anything is wrong?
– What are some coping mechanisms I can use for myself?
Chapter 3: Managing eating disorder behaviors
– What are some reasons it is difficult for my child to eat?
– What can I do to make it easier for my child to eat?
– How can I keep my child from bingeing and/or purging?
– How can I keep my child from over-exercising?
– What is externalizing the eating disorder? Is it helpful?
– What can I do if my child doesn’t want to recover?
Chapter 4: Relapse/Maintaining Recovery
– What can I do to maintain my child’s health and stability?
– What can I do if I start to see signs of relapse?
– Are we back at the beginning if my child has relapsed?
– Will recovery ever come? Will my child be struggling like this forever?
Chapter 5: Recovery
– How can I help my child manage the symptoms of discomfort with eating again?
– What can I do to support my child in having a positive body image?
– How can I ensure the whole family is supporting my child in the recovery process?
– What are some hurdles that can come up during recovery?
– How can I help my child see the value of recovery?
– How do I know if my child is recovered?
Chapter 6: Scenarios and Situations
– What are some tips for managing holiday times and vacations?
– What are some ways to make it easier to shop for my child’s new clothes?
– How can I handle people making comments about my child’s appearance?
– How can I properly provide structure and meal support for my child when the family is always at work/busy?
– What can I do if I have disagreements with my partner?
– What can I do to manage conflict in the family as a result of the eating disorder?
– How can I make the transition back to school or home easier?
– How can I improve my relationship with my child while fighting the eating disorder?
– How can I maintain a positive relationship with my other kids?
Chapter 7: Messages of Hope
– What I’m most proud of
– General inspirational messages
FREE DOWNLOAD OF RESOURCE GUIDE FOR PARENTS OF A CHILD WITH AN EATING DISORDER: